As the seasons change, there's no cozier way to embrace the chill in the air than with a steaming bowl of Cheesy Broccoli Soup. It's the perfect harmony of comfort and flavor, where tender broccoli meets velvety cheese in every spoonful
This warming vegetable soup is perfect for enjoying during those cooler fall and winter months.
- Butter - Salted butter was used in this recipe, however unsalted butter can also be used. The butter could also be substituted with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Onion - Use a white or yellow onion.
- Garlic cloves - The fresh garlic cloves can be substituted with 3 heaped teaspoons of minced jar garlic.
- All purpose flour - This will help thicken the soup.
- Paprika - A sweet paprika was used in this soup, however smoked paprika could be used to give this soup a smokey taste.
- Chicken broth - The chicken broth can be substituted with vegetable broth.
- Broccoli - Fresh broccoli is best in this soup, however frozen broccoli can be used if fresh isn’t available. If using frozen broccoli, do not thaw before adding to the soup.
- Carrot - A peeled carrot was used in this recipe, however the carrot can be left unpeeled if preferred.
- Shredded cheese - Shredded cheddar cheese was used in this soup, however feel free to use your preferred shredded cheese, or even a combination of cheese varieties.
- Heavy cream - For best results, use a whole fat heavy cream in this soup.
- Salt and pepper - For seasoning the soup. It important to leave the seasoning to the end, as the chicken broth and cheese will both add salt to the soup.
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions and substitutions
Cook the butter, onion and garlic until the onion has softened.
Add the flour and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant.
Add the chicken broth, broccoli and carrot to the saucepan.
Add the cheese and cream to the saucepan and stir until the cheese has melted. Season to taste, then serve.
Hint: The broccoli stalks are incredibly tasty, and can be chopped and added to this soup.
- Large saucepan with lid
- Chopping board
Store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat until piping hot using the microwave or in a saucepan on the stovetop.
This soup is suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating until piping hot.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with broccoli cheese soup:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium heads broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened. Add the flour and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, broccoli and carrot to the saucepan. Stir until well combined, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and cream to the saucepan and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat and ladle into serving bowls.